Bureau of Microbial Hazards
Help on accessing alternative formats, such as Portable Document Format (PDF), Microsoft Word and PowerPoint (PPT) files, can be obtained in the alternate format help section.
Bureau of Microbial Hazards Pamphlet
The primary objective of the Bureau is to minimize public health risks from the consumption of foods contaminated with bacterial, parasitic, viral and prion-disease agents.
The Mission of the Bureau of Microbial Hazards
To improve the microbiological safety of the Canadian food supply by developing and communicating policies, guidelines and standards, conducting laboratory research and risk assessments, and providing science-based information to the Canadian public and stakeholders to enable them to make informed choices.
The Vision of the Bureau of Microbial Hazards
To be recognized nationally and internationally as a centre of excellence producing the most trusted research and science-based risk assessments, standards, policies, guidelines and information for enhancing the microbiological safety of foods.
- Focus our work on achieving measurable results to improve the microbial safety of the Canadian food supply and the health of Canadians, our primary concern;
- Participate in National Programs delivered in all regions of the country;
- Provide leadership and work with others, both nationally and internationally;
- Strive for excellence as a microbial food safety organization committed to teamwork, innovation, trust and cooperation;
- Recognize the roles, responsibilities and competencies of others in the food system, from production to consumption;
- Recognize the right of consumers to be informed about health risks and benefits associated with food;
- Maintain scientific expertise and incorporate the best science available in all our activities;
- Make open, effective consultation and communication an integral component of all our activities.
The Bureau is organized into two Divisions
The Bureau is also home to two Food Directorate positions, Senior Scientific Advisor on Bovine Spongiform Encephalopathy and Emergency Preparedness Coordinator.
Contact the Bureau of Microbial Hazards.