Strollers and carriages
Strollers and carriages are popular items that make it easier for parents, grandparents, and caregivers to transport a child. Unfortunately, every year many children in Canada are injured in baby carriages and strollers due to the improper use of the harness or lap belt, or when left unattended -- even for only a moment!
Baby carriages and strollers are regulated in Canada. Carriages and strollers made before 1985 may not meet current safety standards, and should not be bought or sold. New or used carriages and strollers that do not come with a label or instructions may not be safe to use and should not be sold or purchased.
Buying a stroller or carriage
- Choose a sturdy stroller and follow the manufacturer's instructions for the child's weight and height.
- Strollers must be accompanied by information that identifies the manufacturer, model number, and the date of manufacture.
- Strollers must come with a lap belt, or safety harness that is solidly attached to the seat or frame.
- Ensure the brakes, as well as locking mechanisms on folding models, are in working order.
- Make sure that the wheels are securely attached.
Using a stroller or carriage
- Always supervise children when they are in the stroller.
- Always use the safety harness and lap belts, and make sure that the child is seated properly in the stroller.
- Use the brakes when stopped, and when placing the child in or removing the child from the stroller.
- Make sure that the child's hands and feet are not in the way before making adjustments to the stroller.
- Check the stroller regularly for signs of damage and to make sure the wheels are securely attached.
- Do not use pillows or blankets as padding, as they pose a suffocation risk.
- Do not carry additional children, items, or accessories in or on the stroller except as recommended in the manufacturer's instructions.
- Do not use a stroller on an escalator.
For more information
Related Advisories, Warnings and Recalls
General information about the safe use of children's products: