Welcome to the Licensed Natural Health Products Database
What Is It?
The Licensed Natural Health Products Database contains information about natural health products that have been issued a product licence by Health Canada.
Products with a licence have been assessed by Health Canada and found to be safe, effective and of high quality under their recommended conditions of use. You can identify licensed natural health products by looking for the eight-digit Natural Product Number (NPN) or Homeopathic Medicine Number (DIN-HM) on the label.
This Licensed Natural Health Products Database is managed by Health Canada and includes information on licensed natural health products, including:
- vitamin and mineral supplements
- herb and plant-based remedies
- traditional medicines like Traditional Chinese Medicines or Ayurvedic (Indian) Medicines
- omega 3 and essential fatty acids
- homeopathic medicines
- many everyday consumer products, like certain toothpastes, antiperspirants, shampoos, facial products and mouthwashes
What Information Can I Find Here?
For every licensed product listed in this database, the following details are provided:
- product name
- product licence holder
- Natural Product Number (NPN) or Homeopathic Medicine Number (DIN-HM)
- product's medicinal ingredients
- product's non-medicinal ingredients
- product's dosage form
- product's recommended use or purpose (i.e. its health claim or indication)
- risk information associated with the product's use (i.e. cautions, warnings, contra-indications and known adverse reactions)
Some of the hyperlinks provided are to sites of organizations or other entities that are not subject to the Official Languages Act. The material found there is therefore in the language(s) used by the sites in question.
Additional information about this database:
- the data is updated nightly
- use the User Guide for help navigating the database
- use the Terminology Guide to understand the words and terms used in the database
For More Information