Exemptions for Confidential Business Information
Transition of the Hazardous Materials Information Review Commission (HMIRC) functions to Health Canada
As of April 1, 2013, the responsibilities and functions under the Hazardous Materials Information Review Act (HMIRA) related to claims for exemptions for confidential business information has been transferred from HMIRC to Health Canada.
This is an administrative change that is focused on generating general efficiencies within the Workplace Hazardous Materials Information System (WHMIS) program, already operating at Health Canada.
Health Canada will continue:
- The protection of company trade secrets;
- The review of claims exemptions will continue as usual;
- The protection of the health and safety of workers; and,
- Employers and employees will continue to have complete and accurate information related to hazardous materials via Material Safety Data Sheets (MSDSs) so as to reduce workplace related illness and injury
- The appeals function under the HMIRA.
For information on WHMIS go to WHMIS.gc.ca, email WHMIS_SIMDUT@hc-sc.gc.ca, or call 1-855-407-2665.
For claimants: To get information on claims, please email WHMIS-SIMDUT.firstname.lastname@example.org.