Federal-Provincial-Territorial Committee on Drinking Water Fortieth Meeting May 2 - 4, 2007 Toronto, Ontario
6.0 Secretariat Reports
6.01 Secretariat Reports
The Secretariat updated members on the Federal Drinking Water Compliance Program, the First Nations and Inuit Health Branch, the various Divisions of the Water, Air and Climate Change Bureau (science, treatment and standards, policy), and Health Canada's research lab.
- Secretariat to help FNIHB with water truck & household water tank design
- Since pre and post peer review documents are significantly different, CDW agreed that peer reviewer's comments do not need to be available to the public
6.02 Bureau Projects for CDW
Members were updated on a range of projects undertaken by the Water, Air and Climate Change Bureau, including a quick reference table for guidelines, a protocol to address short-term exceedences of guidelines, a guidance document on developing a hierarchy for numerical guideline values, work on unregulated small and individual water supplies, source water indicators, and a web-based water advisory module.
Quick reference table
- Members agreed that only chemical contaminants need to be listed at this time
- Members to provide comments and suggestions to the Secretariat by June 2007
- Secretariat to provide a draft table to members for the October 2007 meeting
- Members agreed with the approach and asked for information on 3-5 year exposures
- Secretariat to prepare draft protocols for arsenic, nitrite-nitrate, THMs and uranium
- Members agreed to revisit the approach to establishing priorities for monitoring and to look at monitoring plans
- Working group was established: J. MacDonald, C.Robert, S. Ferris and a member of the Secretariat
- Working group to prepare a revised draft for CDW review by October 2007
Small & Individual Supplies
- Secretariat to circulate the summary notes of the May meeting to members
7.0 Committee Liaison Reports
7.01 CHE Report
The next CHE meeting is May 15, 2007, in Vancouver, BC.
7.02 CCME Report
The liaison provided an update on the water-related activities of the Canadian Council of Ministers of the Environment and Environment Canada.
7.03 WHO Collaborating Centre
The Secretariat circulated information to members about upcoming meetings.
7.04 Provincial-Territorial Subcommittee on Plumbing Codes/Canadian Advisory Committee on Plumbing Report
No report at this time.
8.0 Members' Reports
Each jurisdiction provided a report on its program and legislative activities, training and outreach programs, publications and current key issues.
- Ontario to send Secretariat fact sheets on arsenic and THMs and a newsletter about standards for distribution to members
- NWT to send Secretariat information on training and remote monitoring for distribution to members
- Quebec to circulate tool for inspectors, once finalized
9.0 Next Meeting
9.01 Location and Dates of Meetings
Members discussed the locations and dates of the next meetings.
- Next meetings:
- Ottawa: October 16 (small systems) -19, 2007
- Ottawa: Spring 2008
- Quebec City: October 8-10, 2008
- Secretariat to confirm location (hotel) of October 2007 meeting