Eating well begins at the grocery store.
What you buy is what you and your family will actually eat! Start by making wise food choices when you shop.
Write out your grocery list based on the foods you plan to eat during the week. Learn about planning meals.
You can eat well and save on your grocery bill:
- Buy vegetables and fruit fresh when they are in season and freeze extras for later.
- Choose canned or frozen vegetables and fruit - they are affordable and nutritious options.
- Use beans, lentils and other legumes in place of meat several times a week.
- Stock up on canned goods and staples when they are on sale. Store them safely and use them up by their "best-before" date.
- Skip the cookies and baked goods, chips and other salty snack foods, soft drinks and other high calorie beverages. They can often cost a lot and are low in nutrients. Stick to the four food groups and buy the basics.
- Bake or prepare your own soups or muffins.
Learn more about making wise choices from each of the four food groups: