NIHB Client Reimbursement Question and Answer
On this page
Q: What information do I need to submit to receive a client reimbursement?
A: In order to seek reimbursement for any benefit area, you must submit the following:
- Original receipt(s) for proof of payment - Credit card/Debit (Interac) slips are not acceptable forms for proof of payment;
- Sign and complete all applicable parts of the NIHB Client Reimbursement Request Form (Please see exceptions to the Dental/Orthodontic and Medical Transportation Benefits below); and
- If applicable, submit a detailed statement or explanation of benefits form for all other health plan(s)/program(s). This form explains what has been covered/paid by your other health plan(s)/program(s). Note: Original receipts are not required when submitting the detailed statement or explanation of benefits form as the other health plan(s)/program(s) requires them. In such cases, a copy of the original receipt is acceptable.
- No additional information other than what is listed above is required.
In addition to the items listed above, the following documents must also be submitted accordingly for each benefit reimbursement request.
Medical Supplies and Equipment, as well as Vision & Eye Care
- A copy of your prescription
Dental or Orthodontic Services
(Please note: When submitting for reimbursement specifically for Dental or Orthodontic Services only, you must use the NIHB Client Reimbursement Request Form OR a Dent-29 Form.)
- Completed claim form provided by the dental or orthodontic service provider.
- One of the following:
- Association des Chirurgiens Dentistes du Québec Dental Claim and Treatment Plan Form
- Standard Dental Claim Form
- Canadian Association of Orthodontics Information Form
(Please note: When submitting for reimbursement specifically for medical transportation only, you must use the NIHB Client Reimbursement Request Form OR a regional specific medical transportation form provided by the Health Canada regional office.)
- Proof of your medical appointment attendance.
Q: Where can I find the NIHB Client Reimbursement Request Form?
A: The NIHB Client Reimbursement Request Form can be found on the Health Canada website. You may also contact the Health Canada regional office in order to request a copy.
Q: Where do I mail my NIHB Client Reimbursement Request Form?
A: For all reimbursement requests (other than Orthodontics), please mail your completed form(s) and receipt(s) to the Health Canada regional office in the province/territory where service was provided. All completed orthodontic forms and receipt(s) must be mailed to the Orthodontic Review Centre.
A complete list of the Health Canada regional offices and the Orthodontic Review Centre addresses can be found on the Health Canada website.
Q: How long do I have to ask for reimbursement of my expenses?
A: All requests for reimbursement of eligible benefits must be made within one year from the date of service. Requests received after one year will not be eligible for coverage and will be returned to the sender.
Q: What do I do if I have another insurance plan?
A: Please submit your reimbursement request to your other health plan(s)/program(s) first. When you receive your detailed statement or explanation of benefits form from all other health plan(s)/program(s), submit it to NIHB. The NIHB Program will then coordinate payment with your other health plan(s)/program(s) on eligible benefits.
Q: What is considered an "original receipt"?
A: An original or true copy of a receipt given by the service provider to document a transaction. A true copy is a fax, e-invoice, or photocopy and may be accepted as payment as long as it has the words "This document should be treated as the original" written or stamped on the copy. Credit card and Interac slips are not considered to be a receipt.
Q: How will I receive payment from Health Canada
A: To receive payments from Health Canada, you must enrol for direct deposit. You can apply for an exception if you do not have a bank account. Visit Direct Deposit for forms and information.