The Economic Impact of Smoke-Free Legislation on the Hospitality Industry
1. Colman, R. (2002) THE ECONOMIC IMPACT OF SMOKE-FREE PLACES: AN ASSESSMENT FOR NEW BRUNSWICK. Glen Haven, NS: GPIAtlantic.
2. Siegel, M. (1992) Economic impact of 100% smoke-free restaurant ordinances. In: SMOKING AND RESTAURANTS: A GUIDE FOR POLICY MAKERS. Berkeley, CA: UC Berkeley/UCSF Preventative Medicine Residency Program; American Heart Association, California Affiliate; Alameda County Health Care Services Agency, Tobacco Control Program.
3. Scollo, M., Lal, A., Hyland, A. & Glantz, S. (2003) Review of the quality of studies on the economic effects of smoke-free policies on the hospitality industry. Tobacco Control, 12, 13-20. (Accessed March 1, 2005).
4. Scollo, M. & Lal, A. (2004) SUMMARY OF STUDIES ASSESSING THE ECONOMIC IMPACT OF SMOKE-FREE POLICIES IN THE HOSPITALITY INDUSTRY - INCLUDES STUDIES PRODUCED TO FEBRUARY 2004. Melbourne: VicHealth Centre for Tobacco Control. (Accessed March 1, 2005).
5. Dunham, J. & Marlow, M. L. (2000) Smoking laws and their differential effects on restaurants, bars and taverns. Contemporary Economic Policy, 18 (July), 326-33.
6. Dunham, J. & Marlow, M. L. (2003) The economic incidence of smoking laws. Applied Economics, 35, 1935-42.
7. Pacific Analytics Inc. (2001) THE ECONOMIC IMPACTS OF THE PROPOSED AMENDMENT TO THE ETS REGULATION. British Columbia: The Workers Compensation Board of British Columbia, Canada. (Accessed March 1, 2005).
8. Glantz, S. A. & Smith, L. R. (1994) The effect of ordinances requiring smoke-free restaurants on restaurant sales. American Journal of Public Health, 84, 1081-5.
9. Glantz, S. A. & Smith, L. R. (1997) The effect of ordinances requiring smoke-free restaurants and bars on revenues: A follow-up. American Journal of Public Health, 87, 1687-93.
10. Glantz, S. A. & Charlesworth, A. (1999) Tourism and hotel revenues before and after passage of smoke-free restaurant ordinances. The Journal of the American Medical Association, 281, 1911-18.
11. Glantz, S. A. (2000) Effect of smokefree bar law on bar revenues in California. Tobacco Control (Letters), 9, 111-12.
12. Luk, R. Ferrence, R. & Gmel, G. (2003) THE ECONOMIC IMPACT OF A SMOKE-FREE BYLAW ON RESTAURANT AND BAR SALES IN OTTAWA, CANADA. Toronto, ON: Ontario Tobacco Research Unit. (Accessed March 1, 2005).
13. Cremieux, P. Y. & Ouellette, P. (2001) Actual and perceived impacts of tobacco regulation on restaurants and firms. Tobacco Control, 10, 33-7.
14. Sciacca, J. P. & Ratliff, M. I. (1998) Prohibiting smoking in restaurants: Effects on restaurant sales. American Journal of Health Promotion, 12, 176-84.
15. Sciacca, J. P. (1996) A mandatory smoking ban in restaurants: Concerns versus experiences. Journal of Community Health, 21, 133-50.
16. Bialous, S. A. & Glantz, S. A. (1997) TOBACCO CONTROL IN ARIZONA, 1973-1997. San Francisco, CA: Center for Tobacco Control Research and Education, University of California at San Francisco. (Accessed March 1, 2005).
17. Maroney, N., Sherwood, D. & Stubblebine, W. C. (1994) THE IMPACT OF TOBACCO CONTROL ORDINANCES ON RESTAURANT REVENUES IN CALIFORNIA. Claremont, CA: The Claremont Institute for Economic Policy Studies, The Clarmont Graduate School.
18. Mandel, L.L., Alamar, B. C. & Glantz, S. A. (2005) Smoke-free law did not affect revenue from gaming in Delaware. Tobacco Control, 14, 10-2. (Accessed March 7, 2005).
19. Dai, C., Denslow, D., Hyland, A. & Lotfinia, B. (2004) THE ECONOMIC IMPACT OF FLORIDA'S SMOKE-FREE WORKPLACE LAW. Gainesville, FL: Bureau of Economic and Business Research, University of Florida. (Accessed March 1, 2005).
20. Styring, W. (2001) A STUDY OF THE FORT WAYNE (IN) RESTAURANT SMOKING BAN: HAS IT IMPACTED THE RESTAURANT BUSINESS? Indianapolis, IN: Hudson Institute.
21. Glantz, S. A. & Wilson-Loots, R. (2003) No association of smoke-free ordinances with profits from bingo and charitable games in Massachusetts. Tobacco Control, 12, 411-3.
22. Bartosch, W. J. & Pope, G. C. (1999) The economic effect of smoke-free restaurant policies on restaurant business in Massachusetts. Journal of Public Health Management and Practice, 5, 53-62.
23. Pope, G. C. & Bartosch, W. J. (1995) PRELIMINARY ANALYSIS OF THE ECONOMIC IMPACT OF BROOKLINE'S SMOKING BAN. Waltham, MA: Health Economics Research Inc.
24. Pope, G. C. & Bartosch, W. J. (1997) EFFECT OF LOCAL SMOKE-FREE RESTAURANT POLICIESON RESTAURANT REVENUE IN MASSACHUSETTS. Waltham, MA: Center for Health Economics Research.
25. Bartosch, W. J. & Pope, G. C. (2002) Economic effect of restaurant smoking restrictions on restaurant business in Massachusetts, 1992 to 1998. Tobacco Control, 11, ii38-ii42.
26. Biener, L. & Siegel, M. (1997) Behavior intentions of the public after bans on smoking in restaurants and bars. American Journal of Public Health, 87, 2042-4.
27. Biener, L. & Fitzgerald, G. (1999) Smoky bars and restaurants: Who avoids them and why? Journal of Public Health Management and Practice, 5, 74-8.
28. Hyland, A. (2002) TAXABLE SALES FROM EATING AND DRINKING PLACES BEFORE AND AFTER SMOKE-FREE REGULATIONS IN NEW YORKSTATE. Buffalo, NY: Roswell Park Cancer Institute. (Accessed March 1, 2005).
29. Hyland, A., Puli, V., Cummings, M. & Sciandra, R. (2003) New York's smoke-free regulations: Effects on employment and sales in the hospitality industry. Cornell Hotel and Restaurant Administration Quarterly, 44, 9-16.
30. Hyland, A., Cummings, K. M. & Nauenberg, E. (1999) Analysis of taxable sales receipts: Was New York City's Smoke-Free Air Act bad for restaurant business? Journal of Public Health Management and Practice, 5, 14-21.
31. Hyland, A. & Cummings, K. M. (1999) Restaurant employment before and after the New York City Smoke-Free Air Act. Journal of Public Health Management and Practice, 5, 22-7.
32. Hyland, A. & Cummings, K. M. (1999) Restaurateur reports of the economic impact of the New York City Smoke-Free Air Act. Journal of Public Health Management and Practice, 5, 37-42.
33. Hyland, A. & Cummings, K. M. (1999) Consumer response to the New York City Smoke-Free Air Act. Journal of Public Health Management and Practice, 5, 28-36.
34. Corsun, D. L., Young, C. A. & Enz, C. A. (1996) Should NYC's restaurateurs lighten up? Effects of the city's Smoke-free Air Act. Cornell Hotel and Restaurant Administration Quarterly, 37, 25-33.
35. Hyland, A., Vena, C., Cummings, K. M. & Lubin, A. (2000) The effect of the Clean Air Act of Erie County, New York on restaurant employment. Journal of Public Health Management and Practice,6, 76-85.
36. Goldstein, A. O. & Sobel, R. A. (1998) Environmental tobacco smoke regulations have not hurt restaurant sales in North Carolina. North Carolina Medical Journal, 59, 284-87.
37. Moseley, F. & Schmidt, K. (2003) THE ECONOMIC IMPACT OF MINOT'S SMOKE-FREE RESTAURANT ORDINANCE. Minot, ND: Minot State University. (Accessed March 1, 2005).
38. Huang, P., De, A. K. & McCusker, M. E. (2004) Impact of a smoking ban on restaurant and bar revenues - El Paso, Texas, 2002. Morbidity and Mortality Weekly Report, 53, 150-52.
39. Hayslett, J. A. & Huang, P. P. (2000) IMPACT OF CLEAN INDOOR AIR ORDINANCES ON RESTAURANT REVENUES IN FOUR TEXAS CITIES: ARLINGTON, AUSTIN, PLANO AND WICHITA FALLS, 1987-1999. Austin, TX: Bureau of Disease, Injury and Tobacco Prevention, Texas Department of Health. (Accessed March 1, 2005).
40. Huang, P., Tobias, S., Kohout, S., Harris, M., Satterwhite, D., Simpson, D. M., Winn, L., Foehner, J. & Pedro, L. (1995) Assessment of the impact of a 100% smoke-free ordinance on restaurant sales―West Lake Hills, Texas, 1992-1994. Morbidity and Mortality Weekly Report, 44, 370-2.
41. Alamar, B. C. & Glantz, S. A. (2004) Smoke-free ordinances increase restaurant profit and value. Contemporary Economic Policy, 22, 520-25.
42. Glantz, S. A. (2000) THE DUNHAM AND MARLOW "STUDIES" ON SMOKEFREE RESTAURANT LAWS: MORE TOBACCO INDUSTRY HOT AIR ON SMOKEFREE RESTAURANTS. San Francisco, CA: Institute for Health Policy Studies, University of California San Francisco.
43. Fox, M. H. (2004) THE ECONOMIC IMPACT OF INDOOR SMOKING BANS. Lawrence, KS: University of Kansas Medical Center. (Accessed March 1, 2005).
44. Wakefield, M., Siahpush, M., Scollo, M., Lal, A., Hyland, A., McCaul, K. & Miller, C. (2002) The effect of a smoke-free law on restaurant business in South Australia. Australian and New Zealand Journal of Public Health, 26, 375-82.
45. Wakefield, M., Roberts, L. & Miller, C. (1999) Perceptions of the effect of an impending restaurant smoking ban on dining-out experience. Preventive Medicine, 29, 53-6.
46. Jones, K., Wakefield, M. & Turnbull, D. A. (1999) Attitudes and experiences of restaurateurs regarding smoking bans in Adelaide, South Australia. Tobacco Control, 8, 62-6.
47. Lal, A., Siahpush, M. & Scollo, M. (2004) The economic impact of smoke-free legislation on sales turnover in restaurants and pubs in Tasmania. Tobacco Control (Letters), 13, 454-5.
48. Lal, A., Siahpush, M. & Scollo, M. (2003) The economic impact of smoke-free policies on sales in restaurants and cafes in Victoria. Australian and New Zealand Journal of Public Health (Letters), 27, 557-8.